Saturday, September 20, 2008

C'mon. Trade Me That Card!


Some 30 years ago, all the boys in our Bruceton, Tenn., neighborhood played baseball daily.

When we weren't playing, we traded baseball cards and talked about our baseball heroes.

One summer I took a liking to the specialty cards that Kellogg's inserted into its cereal boxes.

Most of the Kellogg's cards were 3-D, but one of my buddies traded me the majority of cards from the 1973 set, which were printed in 2-D.

It took some time, but I somehow managed to collect all of the cards in the '72 set except for stubble-faced Joe Torre of the St. Louis Cardinals.

Marty Roberts, who was a few years my junior, had the card that I coveted.

And he wasn't prepared to let it go without trading for something of greater value.

Smart guy.

It finally came down to a standoff between my prized card of Minnesota slugger Harmon Killebrew and Marty's card of Torre.

The standoff lasted for at least three days, long enough for everyone in the neighborhood to shout "Killebrew for Torre" at each of us until the swap was finally made.

Killebrew for Torre, anyone?

No comments: